[PW] Adage: It is more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what disease a patient has

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Jul 20 14:54:28 PDT 2019

On 7/20/2019 4:29 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> Multiple requests to examine the saying in the subject line have been
> sent to me over the years. It is often ascribed to William Osler, one
> of the creators of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

It is also ascribed to Dr. Woods Hutchinson, in 1912, as per the Boston
Globe, 3 November 1912 (p. 32)  "Benzoate of Soda Defended," republished
in a number of other newspapers. I've seen it ascribed to Hutchinson as
early as 1905, in fact, although that citationin  the Monthly
Cyclopaedia of Practical Medicine, p 396, does reference Maxon too.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies