[PW] Dairy publications from 1939 (I need all the help I can get)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 23:51:49 PDT 2019

Casey mentioned the "Mort Walker: Conversations" citation. It might be
helpful for researchers who are searching databases to know that
within this book the name of the strip is presented in two different
ways: "Sunshine and Shadow" versus "Shadow and Sunshine". So it may be
helpful to use both of these search strings. Sorry I cannot provide
more substantive help.

Year: 2005 Copyright
Book Title: Mort Walker: Conversations
Editor: Jason Whiton
Publisher: University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, Mississippi

Interview of Mort Walker by Shel Dorf
(Reprinted from The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, No. 315, November
30, 1979, Pages 6-15)
Start Page 41, Quote Page 45
https://books.google.com/books?id=rn-hA_hK0dsC&q=%22and+Sunshine%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Walker: I was one of the editors of the high-school yearbook. And I
did caricatures of all the prominent kids. I did all the section heads
and so forth. I also had a regular job drawing cartoons for a dairy
magazine. I got $7.50 apiece for those. And I also did a strip for
them called Shadow and Sunshine, which was about two Chinese guys. One
was very glum. One was very happy and very wise. There was always a
lesson in it.
[End excerpt]

Section: Chronology
Quote Page xiv
https://books.google.com/books?id=rn-hA_hK0dsC&q=%22and+Shadow%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
1939 The American Dairy Review runs a regular comic strip by Walker
called Sunshine and Shadow.
[End excerpt]

Garson