[PW] Dairy publications from 1939 (I need all the help I can get)

Casey Roberson CASEY.ROBERSON at uga.edu
Thu Jul 18 04:07:42 PDT 2019

At this point, what I've determined is that the strip must have been published in some internal magazine made by American Dairies, Inc.

They were in business in Kansas City in 1939, Mort Walker lived there in 1939 as well, and in one of the extant examples of the strip, one character refers to working at "American Dairies". I found another reference to the strip in Mort Walker's 1975 book Backstage at the Strips, where he refers to it as running in "American Dairies magazine". This is the earliest reference to the strip in his books; later books refer to American Dairy Review. I imagine in 1975 he was relying on his memory, but by 2000 he (or his publisher) was checking his memory against something like WorldCat.

It's a bit anticlimactic, figuring out the mystery but having nothing to show for it. I've put out messages to Dairy Farmers of America (in Kansas City), rare book & ephemera dealers in the area, a local history group on Facebook, and checked again with the local historical societies in both Kansas and Missouri. If anyone has any other ideas for turning up a company's internal newsletter/magazine from 1939/40, please let me know!

Casey Roberson

Research & Instruction Librarian for Public Health

Zell B. Miller Learning Center 373

706-542-6107

he/him/his