[PW] Classica Music Television in the US, at very least...

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 17:11:31 PDT 2019

A friend was noting how little the US Public Broadcasting Service presents classical music in its television programming these decades, and as a network this is unfortunately true...though member stations have their own head about this as well, and we in the Philadelphia area not only get the student recitals from the Curtis Institute, which are very mildly syndicated to other stations, but their WHYY 2  digital station runs repeats of the PBS network series of GREAT PERFORMANCES AT THE MET every weeknight, and generally re-presents as much PBS programming thus as they have rights to. (The CLASSIC ARTS SHOWCASE performance videos feed isn't currently broadcast in the area, but it is on a number of public station feeds around the country, and it offers a plurality of classical music, directly and as accompaniment to ballet and similar performance art: http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/watch-classic-arts-showcase/ )
Two more sources, one new and one I hadn't fully registered, are also on television/streaming: WLIW All Arts, which is a mix of documentaries and performing arts video of all sorts, headquartered at the Long Island station that is part of NYC's WNET complex these years, and streaming for those who don't get the broadcast signal--though I don't know how limited access is for international viewing/auditing:https://allarts.wliw.org/watch/

and the Japanese public-broadcast export network NHK World runs a regular series of NHK Symphony concerts, admittedly one a week for whatever season they choose, but online as well...at the moment, the orchestra broadcast is a performance of Sibelius's Symphony No. 2:https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/special/episode/201905060810/