[PW] Request verification in Rolling Stone mag - Quote: Somebody needs to do something - it’s just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Mar 22 21:28:28 PDT 2019

On 3/22/2019 10:35 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> "The band -- which announced its intention to back a coalition made up
> of Greenpeace, the Massachusetts-based group Cultural Survival, San
> Francisco's Rainforest Action Network and Creating Our Future at a
> recent press conference in New York -- played a special benefit concert
> for the organizations at New York's Madison Square Garden..."
> . . .

The Grateful Dead benefit concert in question was held on 24 September
1988, and it raised $500,000 for Cultural Survival, Greenpeace, and the
Rainforest Action Network. However, thus far, when I search the Rolling
Stone archives, I am not finding the issue of November 3, 1988 since the
full archives are (as you suspected) not available to non-subscribers.
The November 3, 1988 issue was devoted to comedy (Johnny Carson and
David Letterman were on the cover), but of course that doesn't mean
there weren't mentions of music news prior to the featured comedy
articles. I'll keep looking, but it's issue #538 for those with access.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies