[PW] Quote: "If there is a God, he is a malign thug" attributed to Mark Twain (probably incorrectly)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 11:06:24 PST 2019

Way back in June 2016 I asked the list for help in researching the
quotation in the subject line. Now the Quote Investigator website has
an entry on this topic which includes an acknowledgement thanking some
list members.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/02/23/thug/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to David Williams whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Thanks to Dennis Lien and
Richard Bleiler for verifying the 1968 citation, and thanks to Lien
for verifying the 1977 citation. Further thanks to mailing list
discussants Beth Twomey and Mike Hindin. Additional thanks to T. F.
Mills who suggested examining “The Bible According to Mark Twain”
because it contained pertinent descriptive passages with the word
“malignant”.
[End acknowledgment]

Garson O'Toole