[PW] ?Donne, Bacon, and island metaphor

John Henderson jrhenderson9 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:31:22 PST 2019

Gillian Beer, in "The Making of a Cliché: 'No Man is an Island'"
European Journal of English Studies 1997, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 33-47, at
least addresses the issue, writing "John Donne himself may well have
had in mind Francis Bacon's essay 'Of Goodnesse and Goodnesse of
Nature' where Bacon comments that 'If a Man be Gracious, and Courteous
to Strangers, it shewes he is a Citizen of the World, and that his
Heart is no Island, cut off from other Lands; but a Continent, that
joynes to them'. Two uses do not, of course, make a cliché. Moreover,
Donne enlarges the scope of Bacon's passage to include mortality as
well as largesse of response ('for whom the bell tolls' as well as 'a
citizen of the world')."

John Henderson