[PW] spurious Spinoza quote?

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 11:47:55 PST 2019

'bat colleagues, I need help, please.

Albert Einstein said "I believe in [Baruch] Spinoza's God."  That much is clear.  But there
seems to be a longer elaboration of this that is neither Einstein nor Spinoza.

I am looking at this Spanish text that vaguely purports to be Einstein quoting Spinoza:

https://www.facebook.com/Aleymiguelnava/posts/2185408538177340

If you click on "see original" at the bottom of this text, it gives what appears to be not the
"original," but rather a poor English machine translation of the Spanish.

I think I have traced most of the original Spanish text to Enrique Martinez Lozano (Spanish
sociologist & theologian, b. 1950), wherein he does not mention Einstein or Spinoza:

http://www.enriquemartinezlozano.com/wp/html/dios_hubiera_dicho.htm

Can anybody confirm that the words are indeed originally by Martinez, and nothing quite like it
in Einstein or Spinoza?  (even if in a 21st century new agey way they somewhat reflect the
philosophy of Einstein and Spinoza.)

Can anybody also confirm that Einstein's "I believe in the God of Spinoza" was basically a
pre-1930 one-off remark as explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_philosophical_views_of_Albert_Einstein

and not something that he routinely elaborated on lecture tours after his arrival in the US in
1933?

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)