[PW] Request help tracing a joke in “McClure's Magazine” in 1927

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:51:45 PST 2019

The Quote Investigator website now has an entry on the family of jokes
discussed in this thread.

“Are You Enjoying Yourself?” “Yes, But That’s the Only Thing I Am Enjoying”
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/01/01/enjoying/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Nigel Rees whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Rees asked about this topic in
the January 2019 issue of “The ‘Quote…Unquote’ Newsletter”. Special
thanks to Jesse Sheidlower and Stephen Goranson for help verifying the
1927 “McClure’s” citation. Thanks to Thomas Fuller for pointing to the
pertinent 1911 quotation in “The Devil’s Dictionary”. Also, thanks to
discussants Sue Watkins, T. F. Mills, and Dennis Lien.
[End acknowledgement]

Thanks to Sue W for her response. The 1847 citation does fit the theme
of solitary enjoyment, so it is a partial match. Yet, it does not
contain a joke based the ambiguous phrase “enjoying yourself”.

Garson O’Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com