[PW] Anecdote: Charlie Chaplin and Albert Einstein meet. Request help with 1930 Woman's Home Companion

Sue Watkins genealogy2018 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 15:39:22 PST 2018

 Just need to make a correction on my communication here for any future searchers of the archives. As always, papers sometimes get it at least sort of wrong. George Bernard Shaw was with Chaplin for the London primer, not the US one with Einstein.
 You are absolutely right about Einstein and wife being at the premier with Chaplin. A late friend of mine told me of the incident. He was a newspaper photographer and he gave me a book he published that had a photograph he took of Einstein, his wife and Chaplin emerging from the theater.
I saw in the 6 Mar 1931 copy of The Pittsburgh Press, a story that states George Bernard Shaw was also with the famous duo at the primer.   Sue W    On Friday, November 9, 2018, 12:46:57 PM AKST, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:    On 11/9/2018 4:18 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:> A popular anecdote claims that Charlie Chaplin and Albert Einstein> were together at the premiere of Chaplin's movie "City Lights", and> they exchanged sharp observations about fame and incomprehensibility.
I'm still tracking down the clever repartee attributed to them, but the friendship appears well-documented. Louella Parsons' columns mention their friendship as early as 1930 (citations if you need them-- her columns were widely syndicated). And according to the Associated Press ("Chaplin Still An Idol," cited in the Kansas City Star, 31 January 1931, p. 3), Einstein and his wife were in fact at the premier in Los Angeles, and the article says they all appeared together, receiving loud cheers from the crowd. Another longer version of the AP report notes that Einstein was Chaplin's guest ("Chaplin's Silent Movie Causes Big Stir in Hollywood," Milwaukee Journal, 31 January 1931, p. 2).
-- Donna L. Halper, PhDAssociate Professor of Communication & Media StudiesLesley University, Cambridge MA
_______________________________________________Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Openlist at project-wombat.orghttp://www.project-wombat.org/