[PW] Does Anyone Have Sports Illustrated from April 1949

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:30:07 PDT 2018

Donna--

I don't have it, but I'll note that one reason you got nowhere
contacting the magazine may be because the SPORTS ILLUSTRATED from
1949 was a different magazine (published by Dell) from the current one
(which began publication in 1954, from Time Inc).

The Wikipedia article doesn't make clear if Time bought the name and
rights  from Dell or not, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_illustrated

The Dell version doesn't seem to be widely held:

 Title: Sports illustrated Accession Number: 40953272
Libraries with Item: "Sports illustrated."( Record for Item | Get This Item )
Location     Library     Code
US,CA    LA84 FOUND LIBR    OLY
US,CA    SAN DIEGO PUB LIBR    JTB
US,IN    UNIV OF NOTRE DAME    IND
US,OH    NATIONWIDE INS    GD0
CA,QC    BISHOPS UNIV    B6U

Title:     Sports illustrated.
Publication:     New York : Dell Pub. Co.,
Year:     1949-1954
Language:     English
    SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor:     Sports -- Periodicals.
Sports.
Genre/Form:     Periodicals.
Class Descriptors:     LC: GV561
Other Titles:     Sports illustrated (Dell Pub. Co.)
Material Type:     Periodical (per)
Document Type:     Serial
Entry:     19990312
Update:     20150215
Accession No:     OCLC: 40953272
Database:     WorldCat

*********************

One of the sources listed is the LA84 Foundation digital library,
which does put a lot of old sport articles up on its site for free --
but I didn't find this one there, unfortunately.

https://digital.la84.org/digital/

For what it's worth. . .  (Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a few
libraries who might hold the earlier Dell version could have
miscataloged it as the current version -- one might look through
holding libraries in WorldCat for libraries that claim to have 1949
issues linked to the current (began in 1954) version's record.)

Dennis Lien // U of Minnesota Libraries (retired) // d-lien at umn.edu