[PW] Appeal for a Particular Type of Quote

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 06:23:29 PDT 2018

 Interesting the degree to which Politifact's unsigned researcher is being dense on this one.

It’s worth remembering that both of the factors Ocasio-Cortez cited — people working multiple jobs and long hours — are actually good things for the labor market, said Gary Burtless, an economist with the Brookings Institution.

"Increases in the number of multiple job holders and longer average work hours almost always accompany a strengthening labor market — that is, a job market in which it is easier to find work, in which spells of unemployment are heading downwards, and in which the ranks of the unemployed are shrinking," Burtless said.
--Not really good things for the Labor Market when stagnant wages, which we have had, don't allow one job to cover the costs of living, and working overtime is not an indication that most businesses are going to be looking for more employees...if they can get a certain amount of overtime from their current staff (particularly if that staff is paid on a salary rather than hourly basis). But I'm not too surprised a Brookngs guy might say so (this might as well stand as my entry in the doofus statements by at least Dem-leaning individuals). Ocasio-Cortez might also be swayed to some extent by the experiences of those around her, in her social circle in NYC, one of the highest cost of living cites in the country, and Burtless fails to note the degree to which many jobs in the "gig economy" are either off the books or "independent contractor" gigs that might not appear as readily on a Bureau of Labor Statistics report.
Todd Mason