[PW] ? Kavanagh-Related Quotations (Quotation Query #801)

Meredith Dixon dixonm at pobox.com
Wed Oct 10 04:26:26 PDT 2018

Trump: Oct. 10:

On behalf of our nation, I want to apologize to Brett and the entire
Kavanaugh family for the terrible pain and suffering you have been
forced to endure.  Those who step forward to serve our country deserve
a fair and dignified evaluation, not a campaign of political and
personal destruction based on lies and deception. What happened to the
Kavanaugh family violates every notion of fairness, decency, and due
process.  Our country, a man or woman must always be presumed innocent
unless and until proven guilty.

<https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/transcript-president-donald-trump-brett-kavanaugh-ceremonial-swearing-supreme-court/>

Susan Collins: Oct. 5:

But today we have come to the conclusion of a confirmation process
that has become so dysfunctional, it looks more like a caricature of a
gutter-level political campaign than a solemn occasion.... Our Supreme
Court confirmation process has been in steady decline for more than 30
years. One can only hope that the Kavanaugh nomination is where the
process has finally hit rock bottom....

In evaluating any given claim of misconduct, we will be ill-served in
the long run if we abandon the presumption of innocence and fairness,
tempting though it may be. We must always remember that it is when
passions are most inflamed that fairness is most in jeopardy....

Indeed, of the six objectives they invoked in the preamble to the
Constitution, the one that they put first was the formation of a more
perfect union. Their vision of a more perfect union does not exist
today. And if anything, we appear to be moving farther away from it.

<https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/why-susan-collins-voting-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court/572341/>