[PW] Request help tracing Dorothy L. Sayers quote: As years come in and years go out / I totter toward the tomb

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:50:22 PDT 2018

Donna and other list members may find the following variant
entertaining. It contains the line "As I totter towards my doom"
instead of "I totter toward(s) the tomb".

[ref] 1973, Norman Lindsay: The Embattled Olympian by John
Hetherington (John Aikman Hetherington), Chapter 11: The Twilight of
an Olympian 1945-69, Quote Page 246 and 247, Oxford University Press,
London. (Verified with scans)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Norman always chuckled when he quoted a scrap of ribald verse which
Mary sent him in one of her letters.

The years come in and the years go out
As I totter towards my doom,
Still caring less and less about
Who goes to bed with whom.

That quatrain expressed his outlook to perfection. He had not lost
interest in women and never did, but he saw them now with an old man's
detachment.
[End excerpt]

Garson