[PW] how to find other descendants of an ancestor

Barbara Schmidt schmidtbrb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:55:42 PDT 2018

I have done the DNA testing via ancestry.com and then downloaded the raw
DNA results and then re-uploaded it to gedmatch.com.  Both services
provided me with thousands of distant cousins.  A researcher will still
need to rely on the old fashioned genealogy research such as obituaries,
censuses, etc, to see exactly how the family tree branches come together.
The open source services provided via gedmatch.com allow police departments
to upload raw DNA from crime scenes in order to get a lead on solving
previous cold cases. Parabon NanoLabs does exceptional work in putting
together family trees using both the traditional genealogy methods combined
with DNA genetics to help police departments solve cold cases. If you are
inclined to help advance the efforts of the criminal justice system to
solve “cold cases,” then doing DNA testing through any number of such
services and then contributing the results to gedmatch.com is one way to do
it.

Barb