[PW] John Dryden's grammar

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jul 31 08:49:04 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Anton Sherwood <bronto at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2018-7-30 08:16, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> It's a verb meaning "are accustomed, so /jus/ is the pronunciation.
>>

> I, for one, don't follow the "so" here.

I was skating on thin ice there.  The OED3 claims that the voiceless
pronunciation of _use_ (the verb) derives from progressive voicing
assimilation in _used to_, whereby /juzd tu/ becomes /justu/, and that from
emphatic forms like _did used to_ this was reconstructed as a recent verb
/jus/.  However, the entry also claims that American assimilate the other
way and say /juzdu/.  I testify that I have never heard an American say
that, with the exception of the fella on the OED's sound recording (who is
probably just repeating whatever the IPA they give him says).  So I am
somewhat disinclined to trust them on this particular point — the
thirteenth stroke of the clock, etc.