[PW] Request help with Russian passage in ABC book by Leo Tolstoy

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:58:34 PDT 2018

Art took a bit longer than I thought, but here is his exact reply:

Ivan,

Here's is a Cyrillic version (obviously in the 21st century Cyrillic
letters):

1 - Два человека на улице нашли вместе книгу и стали о ней спорить.
2 - Третий спросил: "Кто из вас грамотный?"
3 - Они сказали: "Никто, оба неграмотные."
4 -* Два плешивых за гребень дерутся.*

Like I said the translation is pretty accurate though a little too verbose
in part 4.

1 - Two men together found a book in the street, and began to dispute as
to the ownership of it.
2 - A third happened along and asked:"Which of you can read?"
3 - "Neither of us.", they said.
4 - *Two baldhead men are fighting over a comb.*

Sentences 1-3 describe a hypothetical situation.
Sentence 4 is an actual saying which could be used in a situation like
this.
I can imagine the third man saying it.

<<<

Metta,