[PW] Request article in Redbook circa 1945

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 06:50:26 PDT 2018

This request has now been satisfied. The saying: "Tact is the knack of
making a point without making an enemy" appeared in a column by Howard
W. Newton in the August 1946 issue of "Redbook". This is the earliest
citation known (to me). Hence, Howard (not Isaac) Newton is currently
the top candidate for creator of this expression.

Thanks very much to the respondents who will be credited when I revise
the QI article soon.

Garson