[PW] Importance of good research - cautionary tales?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Jul 18 09:55:33 PDT 2018

On 7/18/2018 7:54 AM, Caroline Barratt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to compile some real-life “cautionary tales” about why doing a
> thorough literature review is so important to good research.

My cautionary tale may not be exactly what you are asking-- it's not
about a matter of life and death.  But then again, it may still make a
relevant point.  It's about reevaluating the sources you are using in
your lit review:  considering whether perceptions about them have
changed over the years. I often see inexperienced researchers quoting
from a famous source, but seeming to take the source at face value,
rather than exploring whether what the source says is accurate (or where
the author of that book or article got the information).  The problem is
then compounded when other researchers quote from that first researcher
(we see that on Wikipedia), and it becomes an endless loop-- with none
of them considering whether that original famous source was flawed or
incomplete or even biased.

Here's an example:  in the history of broadcasting, there is a durable
myth that KDKA in Pittsburgh was "the first radio station in the US" (or
in some of their publicity, "in the world"). This is not true, and for
readers from Pittsburgh, I am not trying to be rude about your
pioneering station, which did indeed have some amazing achievements in
early radio.  But the KDKA story is a triumph of publicity over fact--
the then-owners (Westinghouse) had a massive publicity department and
they put it to work promoting the primacy of KDKA, while conveniently
ignoring other early stations that may indeed have been on the air
before or at the same time as KDKA.  For many years, there was one book
that every educator used when teaching the history of broadcasting:
Gleason Archer's "The History of Radio to 1926." It was repeatedly cited
in a multitude of textbooks as the authoritative history of early radio,
and well into the 1990s, it was widely quoted.  The problem, as I and
several other researchers discovered, was that Mr. Archer was not
exactly an expert.  He was a lawyer and cleric (not that there's
anything wrong with that), but other than hosting his own weekly radio
program for about five years, he was not a media historian nor an expert
in broadcasting. Further, he wrote his book in 1938, many years after
the events he describes; there is not much evidence he was ever
particularly interested in the history of radio; and when he decided to
write about it, he mainly used corporate archives from companies like
Westinghouse and RCA and General Electric, rather than thoroughly
exploring smaller & independently operated stations that may have been
on the air but lacked the big budgets to publicize themselves nationally.

Today, there are many far better and far more inclusive histories of
broadcasting that are in fact /histories/.  I am not in any way trashing
Mr. Archer, who had a number of very real achievements during his life
(including founding Suffolk University here in Boston). I am simply
suggesting that just because a book or article was well-received doesn't
mean the information it contained was accurate.  And researchers who are
not experts in a field of study may cite the famous books from that
field, without evaluating whether the material those books contain has
been disproved, or is incomplete (or even biased). Further, the state of
the art may have changed-- what was applauded as useful and positive in
1938 might not be received the same way in 2018.  Thoroughly evaluating
the sources, rather than just listing them as if all are equally valid,
is important to writing a paper that is both thorough and factual. I
hope this overly long post makes sense, and thanks for reading it.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies