[PW] Importance of good research - cautionary tales?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jul 18 08:58:32 PDT 2018

To my mind, the obvious place to start is with the case of the
botanists Hugo de Vries, Carl Correns, and Erich von Tschermak, as well as
the agronomist William Jasper Spillman, all of whom indepedently published
articles explaining and providing evidence for the fundamental laws of
genetic inheritence in 1900-01.  That in itself is not unusual in science,
of course, but a proper literature search would have turned up the fact
that the same laws had been set out in detail by an obscure monk in an
obscure journal, the Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Brunn
(now Brno, Czechia) in 1866!  The obscure monk was Gregor Mendel, and his
laws are called Mendelian inheritance to this day.  All four, with varying
degrees of reluctance, eventually acknowleged Mendel's priority, with the
result that (except for de Vries, known for his later work on large-scale
mutations) all are forgotten today except as the actors in this cautionary
tale.

Dream projects long deferred usually bite the wax tadpole.
        --James Lileks