[PW] ? Family tree template

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 17:00:59 PDT 2018

On 10 Jul 2018 at 17:59, Ellen Ehrig wrote:

> I am looking for a simple template to make a family tree for 6 generations.
> Would be nice if it was WORD compatible, but at this point I will take
> anything.  Have tried using the ones suggested in WORD, but cannot seem to
> make it work for me.
>
> I would like it in "block" rather than "tree" form.
>
> Hope the above makes sense and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ellen,

It sounds like you want something simple and cheap, but I would caution that once you get
started you might want something more powerful and versatile.

I use Family Tree Maker (McKiev - ancestry.com) which (like most of the big name
softwares) gives great versatility and flexibility in printed products of your research and
efforts. It also holds unlimited names, which is useful if you go the DNA route.  Successfully
idenifying a number of "spitting cousins" with any of the major DNA genealogy companies
generally requires going back 5 ot 6 generations and then bringing forward all the
descendants of those ancestors.  (For me that's about 20,000 names, 800 spitting cousins in
one company alone, and growing exponentially every day.)  I would also caution that most
people do DNA only for a vague sense of ethnicity, and that is a generally bogus concept.
Why else do extensive research?  I do it as an adjunct to psycho-social history and the study
of migration patterns.

But don't take the word of wombats on any single software.  Google something like
family-tree-software-reviews and get expert comparative opinions.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)