[PW] Searching for an Italian word, probably dialect

GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:24:20 PDT 2018

Dear friends and colleagues,
I am trying to find the correct spelling, and meaning, of an Italian word.
My maternal step-grandfather was born in southern Italy (probably around
Chieti) and his children called him what sounded like "Tutha" or "Tada"
There is no "th" sound in Italian, and what we heard as a "D" or a "th"
might have been a guttural "R."
I have been stymied in trying to find this word because I haven't a clue
how to spell it.
Advice would be gratefully received.
Know that I am now some years retired, so the internet and access to online
NYPL are what I do.
GraceAnne

GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido in New York City
ladyhawk at well.com graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com https://girasoleazzurra.com/

"*The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you*." -L.R.
Knost