[PW] ?PART 2: Ancient Jewish Writings: Seeking English Full Text Translations of Several References?

WOODRUFF, KEVIN kwoodruff3540 at bryan.edu
Tue May 22 10:11:51 PDT 2018

Babli is the Babylonian Talmud

References to pages in the Talmud are always by leaf number, with an "a" or
"b" added to distinguish between the recto and verso: e.g.: Eruvin 22b;
Makkot 8a. Whenever you encounter this method of citation, with just a
tractate name, a number and an "a" or "b", you can be certain that the
reference is to the Babylonian Talmud.

Kevin

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:

> On 5/22/2018 11:41 AM, Sam Shipley wrote:
>
>> Thank you to anyone who can help to clarify the additional references
>> below.
>>
>> My patron who is doing some research in ancient Jewish writings has a few
>> more references he would like to track down. He needs leads to English full
>> text sources of the references specified in the Jewish writings listed
>> below:
>>
>> *Babli 9a
>>

> Also spelled Bavli.  This refers to a volume of the Babylonian Talmud
> (these volumes are rabbinic commentaries on the Hebrew Bible).  I recommend
> the Adin Steinsaltz translation, which is relatively easy to understand.
>
> you wrote--
>

>> *{Erk-ha-Kinnuyim, s. v.] I"UDn; see vol I, p.385
>>

> Perhaps Erkhei ha-Kinnuyim, which is (I think) a Kabbalah source written
> by Moses Ben Mordechai Zacuto  (he was a scholar from the 1600s, who was
> deeply involved in Jewish mysticism).
>
> you wrote--
>

>> *Zohar 1, 75 (The copies of the Zohar my patron has are not divided up
>> this way.)
>>

> There are many translations of the Zohar.  This is perhaps the key text of
> Jewish mysticism.  Not sure which one your patron has.  This one is on
> line, so perhaps your patron can find the verses he or she is seeking.
>
> you wrote--
>

>> *Shu'aib, Noah (end)  (Possibly a Muslim source?)
>>
>  Yes, Shu'aib was a Muslim scholar, and I believe this source refers to
> his telling of Noah's Ark.
>
> --
> Donna L. Halper, PhD
> Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies
> Lesley University, Cambridge MA

*Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div., M.S.I.S. *
Special Collections and Special Projects Librarian/Instructor in Christian
Studies
Bryan College Library
Box 7793
Bryan College