[PW] ?PART 2: Ancient Jewish Writings: Seeking English Full Text Translations of Several References?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Tue May 22 09:08:59 PDT 2018

On 5/22/2018 11:41 AM, Sam Shipley wrote:
> Thank you to anyone who can help to clarify the additional references below.
>
> My patron who is doing some research in ancient Jewish writings has a few more references he would like to track down. He needs leads to English full text sources of the references specified in the Jewish writings listed below:
>
> *Babli 9a

Also spelled Bavli.  This refers to a volume of the Babylonian Talmud
(these volumes are rabbinic commentaries on the Hebrew Bible).  I
recommend the Adin Steinsaltz translation, which is relatively easy to
understand.

you wrote--

> *{Erk-ha-Kinnuyim, s. v.] I"UDn; see vol I, p.385

Perhaps Erkhei ha-Kinnuyim, which is (I think) a Kabbalah source written
by Moses Ben Mordechai Zacuto  (he was a scholar from the 1600s, who was
deeply involved in Jewish mysticism).

you wrote--

> *Zohar 1, 75 (The copies of the Zohar my patron has are not divided up this way.)

There are many translations of the Zohar.  This is perhaps the key text
of Jewish mysticism.  Not sure which one your patron has.  This one is
on line, so perhaps your patron can find the verses he or she is seeking.

you wrote--

> *Shu'aib, Noah (end)  (Possibly a Muslim source?)
  Yes, Shu'aib was a Muslim scholar, and I believe this source refers to
his telling of Noah's Ark.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies