[PW] ? "So much good in the worst of us" Quote (Quotation Query #789)

Suzanne Watkins gilgunn2003 at ymail.com
Sat May 19 22:35:32 PDT 2018

It seems no one wanted to claim authorship. Starting to sound like another quote from that most prolific author Anon. I am really surprised not to see an attribution to Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln, or Albert Einstein, but someone did attribute it to Gracie Allen.
>From Wikiquote:
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 97-106.
There is so much good in the worst of us,And so much bad in the best of us,That it ill behoves any of usTo find fault with the rest of us.
Sometimes quoted "To talk about the rest of us." Author not found. Attributed to Robert Louis Stevenson, not found. Lloyd Osborne, his literary executor, states he did not write it. Claimed for Governor Hoch of Kansas, in The Reader (Sept. 7, 1907), but authorship denied by him. Accredited to Ellen Thorneycroft Fowler, who denies writing it. Claimed also for Elbert Hubbard.
Sue W
"Man will destroy the world because he does not obey the laws of nature and pretends to know the laws of God" -S. Sullivan (1966)

    On Monday, December 4, 2017, 10:49:07 AM PST, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

 The Yale Book of Quotations includes the following poem under the name of Kansas Governor Edward W. Hoch:

There is so much good in the worst of us,

And so much bad in the best of us,

That it hardly becomes any of us

To talk about the rest of us.

The attribution to Hoch is dated 1907.  I have now found a very similar quotation in the Brown County World (Hiawatha, Kan.), 14 Aug. 1896, without attribution to any individual.  What I need to complete the story is to find the earliest attribution to Hoch, and I would welcome citations pushing such attributions back as early as they can be found before 1907.

Fred Shapiro
list at project-wombat.org