[PW] Hedy Lamarr's parting words

Fred W. Helenius fredh at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 19 12:38:16 PDT 2018

On 5/19/2018 2:39 PM, Mark Halpern wrote:

>     Last night's television tribute to Hedy Lamarr finished with some words of wisdom about giving your best to the world, despite the fact that the world will not thank you. Can anyone tell me if those words were hers, or were being quoted from some philosopher?

Mark is referring to the 2017 film "Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story"
(directed by Alexandra Dean) which was broadcast on many PBS stations
yesterday as part of their American Masters series.  (See it here:
http://www.pbs.org/video/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-xxkyoj/)

The credits for the movie acknowledge the quotation as follows:

   Poem "Anyway: The Ten Paradoxical Commandments", read by Hedy Lamarr
at the end of  her life, by Kent M. Keith, 1968

Given that, it is an easy task to discover that the text has a dedicated
website, http://www.paradoxicalcommandments.com/ .  There you can see a
video about its origin, read a biography of the author, etc.

--
Fred W. Helenius
fredh at ix.netcom.com