[PW] Rossini Quotation (Quotation Query #798)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:01:43 PDT 2018

Gioachino Rossini did set to music the phrase "E'la lista del bucato"
("It's the laundry list") which occurs in the Opera buffa "Il Barbiere
di Siviglia" ("The Barber of Seville") which premiered in 1816.

https://books.google.com/books?id=bAREAAAAcAAJ&q=bucato#v=snippet&

The opera contains a scene that hinges on the replacement of a love
letter with a laundry list according to Wikipedia:

[Begin excerpt from Wikipedia]
While Bartolo searches his cluttered desk for the official document
which would prove his exemption, Almaviva whispers to Rosina that he
is Lindoro in disguise, and passes a love-letter to her. Bartolo
suspiciously demands to know what is in the piece of paper in Rosina's
hands, but she fools him by handing over her laundry list.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole