[PW] Rossini Quotation (Quotation Query #798)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat May 12 14:30:04 PDT 2018

Apologies for the large number of messages, but you do get to see
every exciting twist, turn, and revelation. This will be my last
message on this topic for many hours.

Here is a citation for a letter in French dated 1751 (published in
1756) that contains an instance of the remark ascribed to Rameau
(probably Jean-Philippe Rameau who died in 1764).

Year: 1756 (MDCCLVI)
Title: Les cinq années littéraires, ou lettres de M. Clément, sur les
ouvrages de littérature qui ont paru dans les années 1748, 1749, 1750,
1751, & 1752
Tome: Second
Imprimees: A Berlin
Letter Number: 69
Date of Letter: 1er Fevrier, 1751 (February 1, 1751)
Location of Letter: Paris
Start Page 3, Quote Page 5
Database: HathiTrust

[Begin excerpt]
Vous sçavez, MONSIEUR, ce que disoit Rameau, que si on le fâchoit, il
mettroit en musique la Gazette d'Hollande: . . .
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google translation]
You know, sir, what Rameau said, that if he was angry, he would put to
music the Gazette of Holland. . .
[End Google translation]

Garson