[PW] Poet quoted by Stephen Sondheim

Even Hartmann Flood even.flood at gmail.com
Mon May 7 03:14:29 PDT 2018

The poet might be Sondheim himself. The line occurs in his musical "Sunday
in the park with George".
https://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/sundayintheparkwithgeorge/moveon.htm

On Mon, 7 May 2018 at 11:16, Thomas Fuller <tdruryfuller at gmail.com> wrote:

> In *The New York Times Style Magazine*, October 16, 2017, there is an
> interview with Stephen Sondheim by Lin-Manuel Miranda in which Sondheim
> says:
>

> *“It’s the old lesson: You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have
> to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you
> doubt yourself. The whole thing is – if you know where you’re going, you’ve
> gone, as the poet says. And that’s death.”*
>

> The question is:  Who is “the poet” to whom Sondheim refers?  What “poet”
> says something like “If you know where you’re going, you’ve gone”?
>

> Any citations, speculations, musings would be greatly appreciated.
>

>    -
>
>    Tom, still going
>

> *Thomas D. Fuller*

Even Hartmann Flood,  Senior Academic Librarian, retired
Ilevollen 3e
N 7017 Trondheim, Norway.
Phone: +47 73 52 53 53/ +47 95 11 58 14
even.flood at gmail.com
"Come, and take choice of all my library, and so  beguile thy sorrow."
                                (Shakespeare)