[PW] Two Questions About the Biography of Algernon Blackwood

Katherine Harper kharper4 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 18:27:12 PST 2018

Dennis, I can't attach a clipping to a list posting but will send one to
your personal e-mail. *Jim the Penman* seems to have been a perennial
favorite in vaudeville and small-town theaters from about 1877 to 1895,
with revivals in 1903 and 1908. A company from the original A. M. Palmer
Theater production toured with it for years in places including Johnstown,
New York in 1891. There was no mention of the cast in the notice that I
read, and certainly a player as prominent as Gilmour would have been
mentioned if he'd appeared. (Girard was too new in '91 to rate newsprint.)
However, Gilmour and Girard did tour together in 1892 with a production
called *Dartmoor* that the press agent or someone referred to as "in the
vein of *Jim the Penman*." The clipping I am sending you is from the Mount
Vernon *Argus* of December 23, 1892. Perhaps Blackwood was mis-remembering
that production.

Good luck with your/Mike's quest.

Best,

Kathy

Katherine Harper, Ph.D.
Provider of customized editing, writing, indexing, and research services
<http://www.kharpereditor.com>​

* <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kharper4>*