[PW] ? Loving Humanity and Hating People (Quotation Query #790)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 10:07:38 PST 2017

John Cowan wrote:
> Minor translation correction:  "die Menschen" means 'people, persons,
> individuals'; it is not gendered, whereas English 'men' is ambiguous
> between "die Menschen" and "die Männer" = 'male persons'.

Thanks. Interesting. A 1905 translation used "men". Also, when Google
Translate is fed the full sentence it employs "men". Yet, when Google
Translate is fed "die Menschen" by itself it produces "the people"
which seems to be a better translation for today.

Year: 1905
Title: Main Currents in Nineteenth Century Literature: Young Germany