[PW] ? "So much good in the worst of us" Quote (Quotation Query #789)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Mon Dec 4 14:13:43 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM, d-lien University of Minnesota
> <d-lien at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Garson's post shows Hoch citing a slightly different wording, and in
>> fact the wording of this does often vary.  As a kid, I learned it as
>>
>> There is so much bad in the best of us
>> And so much good in the worst of us
>> That it ill behooves any of us
>> To find fault with the rest of us.

For whatever it's, worth, I find it quoted in an article by Ida Tarbell,
McClure's Magazine, August 1905, p. 395.  She offers this version:

/There is so  much bad in  the best of  us, //
//There is  so much  good in  the worst of  us, //
//That it scarcely behooves any  of us //
//To  talk  about the  rest  of  us. /

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies
Lesley University, Cambridge MA