[PW] ? "So much good in the worst of us" Quote (Quotation Query #789)

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:21:20 PST 2017

Garson's post shows Hoch citing a slightly different wording, and in
fact the wording of this does often vary.  As a kid, I learned it as

There is so much bad in the best of us
And so much good in the worst of us
That it ill behooves any of us
To find fault with the rest of us.

****************
Here's a couple of other earlyish (1907) variants wordings:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b215929;view=1up;seq=74

Medical Brief; A Monthly Journal of Scientific Medicine and Surgery;
v.33:1 (1905) / p52

Try all things, and hold fast to the
good. There is good in all systems, but
no one system is all good. "There Is so
much good in the worst of us, and so
much bad In the best of us, it doesn't
behoove any of us to find fault with the
rest of us."—G. B. Clark, M. D., Armonk,
N. Y.

**********************
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?view=image;size=100;id=mdp.39015070255149;page=root;seq=243;num=223

The Southern California practitioner. v.20 1905. / p223

Probably as busy a man intellectually
as there is in Chicago is Dr. George H.
Simmons, editor of the Journal of the
American Medical Association. Those
keen eyes and that quizzical yet genial
facial expression show alertness and in-
telligence. Just over his desk is the fol-
lowing: "There is so much that is bad
in the best of us, and so much that is
good in the worst of us that it hardly

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu