[PW] ? Jean-Baptiste Colbert Quote (Quotation Query #788)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Mon Dec 4 09:54:25 PST 2017

In the Yale Book of Quotations, I included the quotation by Jean-Baptiste Colbert beginning (in translation) "The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to procure ... "  I cited this from a 1919 secondary source.

I am told by a correspondent that occurrences of this quotation in Google Books go back at least to 1888.  Can anyone help me push this back further, in either French or English?

Fred Shapiro