[PW] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:54:43 PST 2017

Thanks for your responses Even, Dennis, Claire, and Bill

Ogden Nash wrote "I leave no tern unstoned" and "I leave no stern
untoned" in a 1953 collection of poems. The QI piece included a 1953
"Detroit Free Press" citation that mentioned the "tern" phrase and
Nash. Here is a citation for a 1962 collection with the poem. (I have
to visit the library to verify the poem in the 1953 collection "The
Private Dining Room and Other New Verses").

[ref] 1962 First Printing, The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash by Ogden
Nash, Poem: Everybody's Mind to Me a Kingdom Is or A Great Big
Wonderful World It's, Start Page 38, Quote Page 39. Pocket Books: A
Division of Simon & Schuster, New York. (Verified with scans)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
This I shall do because I am a conscientious man, when I throw rocks
at sea birds I leave no tern unstoned,
I am a meticulous man, and when I portray baboons I leave no stern untoned,
[End excerpt]

Garson