[PW] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Sun Dec 3 10:51:14 PST 2017

The serial (under that name, as a merger of two earlier serials) began
with 7 December 1895, so the total window is a bit under four years.
Per WorldCat, Marquette (WI) also has the microfilm; and a few
libraries appear to have 1890s issues in hardcopy (or possibly in
microfilm instead/also):  Free Library of Philadelphia (only
1895-1897, however); Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary (Overbrook, PA);
and the PA Office of Commonwealth Libraries (and the nonlibrary
Pennsylvania Newspaper Project, Northampton).   Xavier University (LA)
reportedly has some holdings but did not list years.

I've indexed a lot of late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries
magazines for the Fictionmags Index project

http://www.philsp.com/homeville/fmi/0start.htm

and based on what I observed by doing so, I strongly suspect that the
DAILY NORTHWESTERN wouldn't have reached far back for their reprint of
the quip from the CATHOLIC STANDARD AND TIMES.  Everybody was
swiping/repurposing filler material from everyone else, but generally
from very recent/current issues -- there was so much "copy" out there
that I can't imagine any editor taking time to build up a major
archive of "jokes to use someday" or thumbing through numerous back
issues of other magazines to look for the "perfect" wheeze to grab for
a given situtation.

I suspect the joke appeared in the most recent issue to hand in the
NORTHWESTERN offices of the CS&T (and that they wouldn't have used up
storage space keeping more than the most recent issue around anyway,
of that or of any other rival magazines, at least not of any but a
handful of the most famous/most widely-read ones).  So I'd expect it
was from a July or August issue.

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu