[PW] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

Even Hartmann Flood even.flood at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 08:40:22 PST 2017

Off topic, but cannot resist:
Ogden Nash has a poem about disliking seabirds where he leaves no tern
unstoned.

Even

On 3 December 2017 at 17:17, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Quote Investigator website now has an entry about the wordplay in
> the subject line which is often attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
>
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/12/02/unstoned/
>
> The earliest pertinent evidence I've found is a joke containing the
> phrase "they left no turn unstoned" in "The Daily Northwestern" of
> Oshkosh, Wisconsin on August 29, 1899 with an acknowledgment to the
> "Catholic Standard and Times". I haven't found a digital archive for
> the "Catholic Standard and Times".
>
> Chronicling America seems to say that University of Notre Dame in
> Indiana has it on microfilm, but searching would be difficult because
> the date above is simply an upper bound.
>
> https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn97016042/holdings/
>
> Reference works contain a 1950 citation for George Bernard Shaw and a
> 1946 citation for Arthur Wimperis. The QI article has 1914 citation
> for Wimperis but nothing earlier for Shaw.
>
> Feedback welcome
> Garson O'Toole
> QuoteInvestigator.com

Even Hartmann Flood,  Senior Academic Librarian, retired
Ilevollen 3e
N 7017 Trondheim, Norway.
Phone: +47 73 52 53 53/ +47 95 11 58 14
even.flood at gmail.com
"Come, and take choice of all my library, and so  beguile thy sorrow."
                                (Shakespeare)