[PW] Verifying Duchamp Quote

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:59:41 PST 2017

Great thanks to Marci Frederick who sent to me (and inquirer Liz
Barksdale) off-list the pertinent page scans for the Newsweek article
containing the Marcel Duchamp quotation. The article does not clearly
indicate how or when the quotation was obtained. Duchamp died in
October 1968; hence, he was alive when the Newsweek story appeared.

Year: 1968 April 8
Periodical: Newsweek
Article: Dada at MOMA
Start Page 132, Quote Page 132, Column 2
Publisher: Newsweek, New York
Verified with scans

[Begin excerpt]
By exhibiting such things as an ordinary bottle rack, Marcel Duchamp
revealed the surprising beauty hidden in simple objects. He inserted
marble cubes, a cuttlebone and a thermometer into a birdcage and
called the result "Why Not Sneeze?" "Everything in life is art," says
81-year-old Duchamp. "If I call it art, it's art; or if I hang it in a
museum, it's art."
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole