[PW] Verifying Duchamp Quote

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 11:43:44 PST 2017

After extracting additional text and looking at more snippets I found
what seems to be an article title: Dada at MOMA.

Using the title to search for a bibliographic note I found the following:
"Dada at MOMA," Newsweek (Apr. 8, 1968).
(Visible in Google Books volume "Consuming Surrealism in American
Culture: Dissident Modernism" By Sandra Zalman.)

Hence I think acquiring the Newsweek article will be very helpful. It
probably contains the quotation (verification required). Newsweek used
the phrase "81-year-old Duchamp", and he was 81 in 1968 which suggests
that the quotation was gathered in 1968. It may have been obtained by
a Newsweek reporter at the MOMA show, if Duchamp attended it.
Alternatively, the Newsweek writer(s) may have gathered it from some
published interview, but I haven't found another interview yet.

Garson O'Toole