[PW] Verifying Duchamp Quote

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 11:00:07 PST 2017

Here is a lead for the Duchamp attributed quotation.

Year: 1968 (month and day uncertain)
Periodical: Newsweek
Volume 71
Issues 10-18
Quote Page 332 (Issues of Newsweek are not long enough for this page
number to make sense; it might be a wraparound error or a faulty OCR
error)
Database: Google Books snippet match; must be vierified with hardcopy
of microfilm; search for "1968" reveals snippets that are consistent
with the date
https://books.google.com/books?id=GhXkAAAAMAAJ

[Begin extracted text]
He inserted marble cubes, a cuttlebone and a thermometer into a
birdcage and called the result "Why Not Sneeze?" "Everything in life
is art," says 81-year-old Duchamp. "If I call it art, it's art; or if
I hang it in a museum, it's art." Other Dadaists
[End exctracted text]

Garson O'Toole