[PW] Chinese red pepper pronunciation

Jen Wilson jemawi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 19:40:39 PST 2017

I'm wondering if perhaps it's 'Sichuan' or 'Szechuan' pepper that you are
talking about? Both refer to the same pepper but the spelling depends on
which romanised version is more prevalent in your geographical location. In
Australia we commonly see both however I think Szechuan might be more
typical in the US.

The best way to describe the pronunciation would be 'sesh juan' (with juan
pronounced as in Spanish).

You can find out more here: http://theepicentre.com/spice/szechuan-pepper/

Cheers
Jen

On 17 November 2017 at 05:26, John Henderson <jrhenderson9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Susan Holmberg and Daniel Williams for your assistance. I
> have since asked a Chinese friend. She didn't even recognize Chi-Chien
> as Chinese. I gave her the name in Chinese characters, and it didn't
> sound much at all like "chee chee-en," which I suspect is the way it
> is most commonly pronounced. The pinyin Daniel supplied, cháo tiãn,
> was pretty close, but I was laughed at when I tried pronouncing it.
>
> John Henderson
> Ithaca College Library
>
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM, John Henderson <jrhenderson9 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There is a Chinese red pepper spelled Chi-chien.
> >
> > How is it pronounced?
> >
> > Does Chi-chien rhyme with "cayenne"?
> >

> > John Henderson
> > Ithaca College Library

*"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
Dorothy Parker*