[PW] Term for "place of origin" as part of a personal name?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 11:01:02 PST 2017

I realized that about ten minutes after I sent the link to the list.

One could, however, form another neologism based on demonym to arrive at
"demonymic," similar to "patronymic."

Metta,
<just-a-(probably-bad)-suggestion-ly y'rs>,
Ivan

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan9 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> While googling for a partial place name lookup page (no luck at all) this
> > morning, I ran across this page on Wikipedia:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonym
> >
> > Does that fit the bill?
> >

> No, it doesn't.  A demonym is the term for people collectively who live in
> or come from a particular place, like New Yorkers or Rhode Islanders or
> Jayhawks (for people from Kansas) or Trifluviens (for people from Trois
> Rivieres).
>
> --
> John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
> Yes, chili in the eye is bad, but so is your ear.  However, I would
> suggest you wash your hands thoroughly before going to the toilet.
>         --gadicath

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours