[PW] Term for "place of origin" as part of a personal name?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Nov 20 10:29:17 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan9 at gmail.com>
wrote:

While googling for a partial place name lookup page (no luck at all) this
> morning, I ran across this page on Wikipedia:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonym
>
> Does that fit the bill?

No, it doesn't.  A demonym is the term for people collectively who live in
or come from a particular place, like New Yorkers or Rhode Islanders or
Jayhawks (for people from Kansas) or Trifluviens (for people from Trois
Rivieres).

Yes, chili in the eye is bad, but so is your ear.  However, I would
suggest you wash your hands thoroughly before going to the toilet.
        --gadicath