[PW] Quote: In the marriage union the independence of the husband and wife will be equal, their dependence mutual, and their obligations reciprocal

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 23:18:08 PDT 2017

Back in March 2014 a discussion thread about the saying in the subject
line occurred on this mailing list.

http://lists.project-wombat.org/pipermail/project-wombat-project-wombat.org/2014-March/010902.html

Now the Quote Investigator website has an entry on the topic:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/10/27/marriage/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Carolyn Haley whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Additional thanks to helpful
discussants Beth Twomey, Katherine Harper, Jay Dillon, and Andy
Behrens. Also thanks to researcher Fred Shapiro.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson O'Toole