[PW] The photo of Sylvia Plath that inspired Ted Hughes's poem "Fulbright scholars"

Petter Naess petter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 07:43:14 PDT 2017

I'm looking for the photo of a group of Fulbrighters, newly arrived in
England in 1955, which Ted Hughes refers to in his poem "Fulbright Scholars
<https://genius.com/Ted-hughes-fulbright-scholars-annotated>." The photo
may not exist - it's a poem after all -  but photos (this
<https://static.squarespace.com/static/51e5ae06e4b0fa162621f8d3/52405307e4b0fa6edd5d9d9a/5240530ae4b0fa6edd5da546/1280875498097/1000w/fulbright_westbahnhof.jpg>one
from Vienna) of arriving groups of Fulbrighters/international students were
not uncommon in newspapers of the 50s.

The particular mystery of the Fulbright Scholars photo has already been
thoroughly researched by Peter K. Steinberg, owner of the
sylviaplathinfo.blogspot.com blog, and he has documented his unsuccessful
efforts here
<http://sylviaplathinfo.blogspot.no/search?q=fulbright+scholars> (please,
no need to duplicate them!)

I have checked with my colleagues at the Fulbright Commission in London,
and also at the U.S. embassy in London, and they have nothing i their
archives.  I assume this is a lost cause, but a recent flurry of activity
here on stumpers reminded me that no mystery can be said to be exhaustively
researched until it has been subjected to the collective wisdom of this
group!

Best,
Petter
--