[PW] Abbreviation

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 6 14:00:54 PDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan9 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just bought a postcard showing a snackbar, tables and some
> counters--selling things such as guns--at the Fort Monmouth PX.  I'd guess
> that it's from about 43-46.  At the bottom, it says, "S.T.R.-P.X."  PX is,
> of course, Post eXchange, but what's the S.T.R.

A google of "fort monmouth" "str" with that pattern of quotation marks, and
rejecting Google's assumption that "str" means "street", turns up
<http://www.paulnoll.com/Korea/581-Sig/army-choices-pic3.html>, which shows
that S.T.R. = Signals Training Regiment.  Ft. Monmouth (per WP) before its
closure was a major location for the US Army Signal Corps, and the only
training location before WWII when several more were opened.

A rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but if you called it
an onion you'd get cooks very confused.          --RMS