[PW] tipped in/on newspapers

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 4 13:59:54 PDT 2017

On 8/4/2017 4:12 PM, David Haynes wrote:
> Fuzzy Ones,
>
> This is a copy of a request I recently sent to the history of photography and the digital newspaper project mailing lists. Unfortunately, no one on either list could offer any direct help. So I decided to ask the joeys. Any help greatly appreciated. Those interested in the San Antonio example mentioned below should point their browser at:
>
> http://www.expressnews.com/lifestyle/article/Cartoon-hand-pasted-into-newspapers-made-history-6720486.php

It wouldn't let me continue beyond the first few sentences without
subscribing, but I did find an early mention of the new and exciting
process (homeography) that could be used for duplication of engraved
prints.  It was supposed to be an improvement on the earlier (1845)
process of creating reprints by use of "anastatic printing"-- those
keywords seem to be useful in the search, by the way. So, evidently,
efforts to create reprints and duplicates of images were being discussed
& tried circa 1845-1860.  The article I found about homeography is from
November 1858.  Not sure any of this is useful (I hope it is), and I
assume I can't send jpegs to the list, so if you want any of what I
found, I can send it along off-list.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies
Lesley University, Cambridge MA