[PW] ? Catherine the Great Quote (Quotation Query #779)

Charles Early charles.early at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 11:24:42 PDT 2017

I think the second part of this quote is usually attributed to Heine.

>From https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heinrich_Heine:

*Bien sûr, il me pardonnera; c'est son métier.* [*Of course he [God] will
forgive me; that’s his job.*]

   - Death-bed joke (1856), attributed as last words; quoted in French in *The
   Joke and Its Relation to the Unconscious* (1905) by Sigmund Freud
   <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud>, as translated by Joyce
   Crick (2003).
   - Quoted as “Gott wird mir verzeihen, das ist sein Beruf.” in Letzte
   Worte auf dem Totenbett. Quelle: Alfred Meißner: "Heinrich Heine.
   Erinnerungen" (1856), Kapitel 5
   - Variant translation: *Why, of course, he will forgive me; that's his
   business.*
      - As quoted in *Heinrich Heine* (1937) by Louis Untermeyer
      <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Louis_Untermeyer>