[PW] SF book inquiry

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Tue Jul 4 09:59:40 PDT 2017

As others have suggested, Niven's character Teela Brown sounds like
the closest sort-of match.  But in checking the TV Tropes entries for
luck, I found this novel (which I've not read) which also has a couple
of points in common (notably the "powers that be" consider him a
threat and try to stop him aspect.  For what it's worth...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Starluck

The above is for a 1982 novel, STARLUCK, by Donald Wismer.  Apparently
not part of a series, though.  Found under this trope:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BornLucky

(there are a number of other luck-related tropes cited,

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LuckTropes

but this subdivision seemed the most promising)

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu