[PW] Hegel's dictum

Charles Early charles.early at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:24:53 PDT 2017

A fuller quote, in the form "But what experience and history teach is this:
that peoples and governments have never learned anything from history, or
acted on principles deduced from it." appears in
Hume, Hegel and Human Nature - Page 142 - Google Books Result
<https://books.google.com/books?id=EtzdBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142&dq=%22What+experience+and+history+teach+is+this:+that+peoples+and+governments+have+never+learned+anything+from+history.%22+%E2%80%94Hegel&source=bl&ots=Oil4h0adld&sig=Ptbf5wh8_zPvMSn2FbJHyW26M7o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy6ZLQ-OXUAhVBHmMKHWYsBl0Q6AEIQzAF>
​ (​
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=9400975880
​), with the citation (PGN, 21, amended: ​WL VIII, 179).  I don't know what
the abbreviations stand for, but perhaps someone can check.

I found this version of the quote in Jerry Pournelle's introduction to the
Kornbluth story "The Only Thing We Learn".

Charles Early